"The choices we make change
the story of our life." ©

Thursday, February 23, 2006

 

A Career U-Turn

DAY FOUR - Steve Laube, Literary Agent
God Allows U-Turns Guest Blogger

Fourteen years ago I lost a corporate battle I didn't know I was fighting.

The result? I lost my job as a bookstore manager despite having won the national CBA store of the year award, serving as national book buyer for the chain, being offered the vice-presidency of the company, and training five new store managers. I was fired. I was unemployed. For nine months I felt like I had let my family down and I had few options in the industry. At one point I took a night theology class from Fuller Seminary extension, because I had the time. The first night of class they went around the room asking for the person's name and their profession. It came to me and I had to say, "My name is Steve Laube and I'm unemployed." The humiliation of that night was so great that I left during the break and never returned. Losing my job was tantamount to losing my identity.

But God Allows U-Turns. Out of the blue Carol Johnson of Bethany House Publishers offered me a job as an editor. This was the beginning of a new phase of the life God had prepared for me. This is a quick snippet of my career U-Turn story. At every stage, including my switch to becoming an agent, God's fingerprints can be found.
Allison