"The choices we make change
the story of our life." ©

Monday, March 20, 2006

 

Day One - U-turns and Zigzags

Day One - Accepting the Mission

My career goal in sixth grade was to become a secret agent. Today I’m a wife, mom, and novelist.

Clearly, my life has taken some U-turns. In Allison’s book, GOD ANSWERS PRAYER, I shared the story of a short-term missions trip my husband and I took with our children. But the story began before that. Allison invited me to share some of the journey over the coming days. I’m delighted to visit the U-turns blog for the week, and especially excited because Allison is a fellow Minnesotan and we’re both debuting our first novels with Bethany House this June. More about that later in the week. ☺

I grew up singing “Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam” and feeling His love. But as I entered junior high, I began to sense God calling me to a deeper commitment. I resisted. Somehow I believed that if I allowed Him full access to my life, He’d let my house burn down, let my parents be killed, and strike me blind, all to strengthen my character. He’d make me go to China and be a missionary. I held the door shut against the gentle knock of the Holy Spirit.

At the same time, my family’s life was wrenched by alcoholism and conflict. Depression led me to the point of wanting to die to make the pain stop. Instead, I wrote God a letter inviting Him to be my all in all. It took the desperation of pain to show me my need for Him, but then I threw myself into knowing Him with the passion of a honeymoon bride.

Instead of leading me into a path of frightening struggle, as I’d feared, God began to heal wounds, teach me about Himself, and kindle a fire in me to share His grace with others.

Finding the best path to do that sharing, however, was a winding road. I’ll give you the “after the honeymoon” story tomorrow.

Meanwhile, if you want to hear about the quirky zigzags in my life, visit my website and go to the link “About Sharon.” You can read about “The Secret Life of Sharon Hinck”—where I confess my love of “Man from U.N.C.L.E.”, dressing up as a Star Trek character, and scaring the police at an outdoor rehearsal for “West Side Story.”
Blessings!
Sharon Hinck
Allison