"The choices we make change
the story of our life." ©

Thursday, November 09, 2006

 

Teenage Thievery

Guest Blogger: Nancy C Anderson

Well, it’s Thursday and I promised to tell you about my shoplifting adventure.

The full story appears on page 183 of Allison’s book titled,
God Allows U-Turns for Teens

In my small hometown of Winona, Minnesota, there was only one discount store, and I stole from it—and got caught. The police took me to the station where my father came to get me. He was silent as we drove home, but had much to say as we sat in our living room discussing my behavior. Here’s an excerpt from “Yes, Daddy, I Promise”


I said, “Each time I stole, it got easier. Until now. I can see how wrong it was.” tears bit
my face as I said, “Please forgive me…I‘ll never do it again. Stealing was easy…getting
caught is hard.”

He said, “Yes, and it’s going to get harder. Tomorrow morning, we will go to all the places
on your list and you will ask to speak to the manager. You will tell him that you were a
shoplifter and list the items you stole from his store. You will apologize and repay him.
I’ll loan you the money, and you will work all summer to pay me back. Do you
understand?”

With my heart slamming, and my palms sweating, I nodded.

The next morning, I did exactly as he asked. It was impossibly hard, but I did it. That
summer, I repaid my father the money, but I will never be able to repay him for the
valuable lesson he taught me. I never stole again.

To read the whole story,
order God Allows U-Turns for Teens at Amazon.com
Tomorrow's post will be about my marriage U-Turn. It's a doozy--you won't want to miss it!
Blessings,
Nancy C Anderson
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS: ATTENTION BABY BOOMER WOMEN! Allison Bottke will be the Featured Author of the Month for November at America's #1 web site for baby boomer women.
Visit Allison's main web site at http://www.godallowsuturns.com and click on the National Association of Baby Boomer Women logo to join the NABBW or to visit the free forums at Boomer Women Speak. Join Allison in the Featured Author Forum in November and learn how wise, warm and witty baby boomer women are connecting, encouraging and supporting one another every day.
Allison