"The choices we make change
the story of our life." ©

Sunday, March 26, 2006

 

Day Seven - U-turns and Zigzags


Day Seven – Onward!

I want to thank Allison for inviting me to share my experiences about a few of God’s U-turns in my life. It’s given me a chance to look back at all the zigzags that didn’t make sense to me at the time, and see how they were really switch-backs leading me on my expedition up a mountain that needed conquering.

Isn’t it exciting that God doesn’t waste anything? Our interests and passions, our failings, our suffering, our wrong turns. He finds ways to turn it all into a blessing for us and for others. In THE SECRET LIFE OF BECKY MILLER, Becky daydreams adventurous scenarios to enliven her soccer-mom life. I was able to use my past interests to inform the writing of those escapades—even my secret agent delusions were useful. ☺

I've felt overwhelmed and discouraged, so it's a joy to write a book to bring women encouragement. I've wondered if my life makes a difference, so I had fun watching my character struggle with that same issue. From job loss, to sick children, to roll-on-the-floor laughter with friends, to painful faith questions--it all finds a way into my stories. Isn't it cool how God can use our zigzags and U-turns?

If you want to read about Becky, you can order the book here and receive it in May.

If you’d like a once-a-month email update on my writing, speaking events, and special behind-the-scenes info and goodies, please join my Book Buddies list.

If you want a giggle, visit my Friends Quiz to find out which of Becky’s best friends you have the most in common with.

If you are part of a Bible study or a book club or women’s group, you can print out a free discussion guide for THE SECRET LIFE OF BECKY MILLER here.

Because I’ve entered the writing world while parenting, I share some fun family-life ideas on my website, as well as writing resources and other great links.

Anytime you need a bit of inspiration, please feel free to visit my blog – where you can post your comments and questions.

AND for in-person smiles and hugs, Allison and I will be signing our debut novels at the Burnsville, MN, Barnes and Noble on Saturday, May 13 from 11am-1pm. We’d love to meet you face to face!

Until then,
Blessings!
Sharon Hinck
www.sharonhinck.com
Allison