"The choices we make change
the story of our life." ©

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

 

Tricia Goyer--Day Five of Seven

I cannot share the stories about my novels without sharing my story of meeting the men who lived through these events.

It all started when I returned home from Austria in October 2000. I'd heard Martha's stories about the liberation of Mauthausen and Gusen camps and I wondered if any of the men were still alive.

I contacted the 11th Armored Division, and right away six veterans contacted me and invited me to attend their reunion.

A friend and I attending the 59th reunion of their division. From that one trip, over 30 men shared their stories and invited me into their lives. I keep in contact with them . . . and their stories were so amazing that my second novel, Night Song, is also about the 11th Armored Division!

Some of the men I first talked to are now gone. I’m just so thankful God granted me a chance to meet them first.

As I interviewed veterans, I soon discovered that the research I needed for my novels was only a fraction of the amazing stories the men shared. I have so many wonderfully, amazing stories that I've launched a new website JUST THIS WEEK in order to share some of these stories.

Please take time to check out Unforgettable Stories of World War II. And tell your friends! I will be posting new stories each week. For me, this is just a small way I can share the wonderful, true stories that have touched my heart.

I also encourage my readers to take time to listen to the stories of the veterans in their lives. In fact, on my website there are tips you can use to do just that.

The most important thing, of course, is just taking time to listen and care. Who knows what amazing, unforgettable stories you can discover among your own family and friends!
Allison