"The choices we make change
the story of our life." ©

Thursday, June 15, 2006

 

God's Power Within

Day Four of Six
June 16, 2006
Posted by Guest Blogger: Dena Dyer

(continued from Day Three)

So began my quest to get back to the state of faith I describe as “revolutionary.” With God’s help, I began to seek out people, places, and conversations that would help me become passionate. Along the way, I discovered that if I was going to follow Jesus like He asked, I would have to make some tough decisions. I might even have to be willing to be considered weird, or countercultural. For sure, I was going to have to be brave--because the world had changed. The media, political climate, and society at large wasn’t as friendly to Christians as it had been when I first came to Christ.

And as Kathy Troccoli says, “There is so much white noise in our culture. We overlook opportunities to feast at the feet of Jesus. We don’t ‘fine dine’ with Him. There is change and transformation when we meet Him there.”

Around the time that my own change was happening, I read a book called Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It’s a classic tale of a futuristic society in which love equals sex, feelings are considered dangerous, and uniformity is king. In Huxley’s version of the world, a drug called “soma” is handed out like candy to keep the masses in line with the status quo. Materialism is encouraged, happiness is the ultimate goal (achieved by any means necessary) and media is used as a hypnotic tool. Sound familiar?! :)

Mr. Helmhotz Watson, one of the characters in Brave New World, said something to another character that struck a real chord with me. "Did you ever feel like as though you had something inside you that was only waiting for you to give it a chance to come out? Some sort of a power that you aren't using—you know, like all the water that goes down the falls instead of through the turbines?. . . I'm thinking of a queer feeling I sometimes get, a feeling that I've got something important to say and the power to say it – only I don't know what it is, and I can't make any use of the power."

That’s how I feel!

As God got a hold of me again, the writer/speaker in me began to long to share what I was finding with other women.

So I'm doing that--little by little, with God's power. He's the power I wasn't using. . . and He is giving me the ways to say something "important"--not only to audiences, but to my family, each day as I make the right decisions.

Is your water going down the falls or through the turbines?

Consider that today...and until tomorrow, be blessed by the awesome, extraordinary love of our wonderful Savior!

Dena Dyer

P.S. from Allison: If something our Celebrity Guest Blogger shared today has touched you, we welcome your comments. Simply click on the comments linkbelow. By posting a comment, your name will automatically be entered into aprize drawing for FREE BOOKS. We will randomly select two names at the endof each month to receive a special gift of GOD ALLOWS U-TURNS books.
Allison